Before I start getting a bunch of hate mail, yes running is great for you. Yes running is healthy for you. No you should not stop running.
With that said, like any physical activity, there are some negative effects to running such as itchy skin, sore knees, and pain in feet. The good news is that there are ways to minimize these!
- Pace yourself – this is where you have to be honest with yourself, if you are just starting out running do you really think it’s a good idea to aim for a 5 mile run? Focus on appropriate and attainable goals.
- Use good form – maintain proper posture, engage your core and look forward. Make sure you are not slumping your shoulders.
- Avoid constantly running on treacherous terrain – yeah it’s fun to go off the beaten path, but just remember rough terrain that is uneven is painful for the knees.
- Do leg workouts before your run – building muscle in your legs is a great idea to improve your runs. To maximize effectiveness of the workout, first work out the legs then go for the run.
- Get enough sleep – if you are not getting at least 6.5-8 hours of sleep you are not getting enough rest for the body and that is when injuries start to roll in.
- Get enough nutrients – feed your body properly so you have the energy for the run.
There you have it, a couple simple tips that will help you go the extra mile!